October 25, 2010

Step 3: Learn to Ride Your Bike

First day on my Street Triple!
I'll never forget that first day of riding my bike! We went to a park and I rode around, never topping second gear. I admit, I was scared. Not so much scared of the bike, but scared I'd drop it. I'd have been heart broken. It is a lot bigger than the 250 I'd taken my riding course on, but it was more the fact that I didn't want to hurt him.

I have to admit, I would never have bought this particular bike without Ashley. He was a model of patience and encouragement. I trusted that if he thought I could handle this bike, that I would be able to. And he was right. Soon I was riding around town, trying to go out every day so I wouldn't lose the skills I'd learned in my class. I had no gear, except for a great helmet. So I borrowed his jacket and wore jeans.

I did eventually drop my bike, unfortunately, in a parking lot. I didn't realize I was in 2nd gear and didn't get the push I needed to make the turn. A little black spray paint, and you can't event tell. My ego was bruised and I was a little shaky for a couple of weeks, but no worse for the wear. I'm still a little shaky when I'm parking, but I hear that's one of the hardest parts of riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment