July 21, 2015

Idylwild, a couple times

I'm amazed sometimes what fits into a day. And how a day with your motorcycle can be a metaphor for life. A start to the day with coffee, pool and mountains. All that really matters is the mountains. 
It's a windy day, and I'm a worrier. Don't enjoy wind on a bike so much, so I went for a run to get the endorphins going. It worked.
My Lil Trip needed some love, so I let a stranger clean and lube his chain. Gotta get that flash flood grit outta there. It was worth the two day wait for Desert Motor Sports to open. Nice, nice people, they let me rub some of the dirt off him while they did the real stuff. Got him right in. I can tell when I shift that he needs an oil change, but that's gotta wait till I get home.
Lil Trip's been complaining a little about all the straight lines, so I took him up 243 to Idylwild today. Even went up and back a couple of times for good measure. I didn't feel very comfortable. It's really windy, and I've been doing too many figure 8's lately and not enough twisteys. There was grit and gravel everywhere because of the rain, and my shoulders were tight, despite Eugene's best efforts. But we made a good day of it, and I learned (for about the 40th time) that the wind's not so bad. 

I had a bowl of (yucky) chili in Idylwild and talked with some European dude about bikes. He really really wants a KTM 1290, but he's scared of the height because he's short. (He was sitting, but I took his word for it). I told him to get the 690, but he already has it! Needs more power and low end torque on the road. He thought my bike was a Speed Triple, and couldn't BELIEVE it when I told him it's 675 and I've ridden it 28K miles, rode from Phoenix. I expected more, but I guess it just goes to show you that all Euro dudes aren't like my friend Stephan. 
It was a beautiful day and I'm fortunate. I worried way too much about the wind (although as I write this its howling twice as hard, so I'll worry about tomorrow, too), and nothing spectacular happened. Just a day of taking in the sights, experiencing what I feel and accepting it, and appreciating the little things. And that, is life. 
After school I take a dip in the pool, which is really off the wall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment