May 17, 2014

A Day Just For Me

The smell of my scarf as I slipped it over my head this morning brought strong images to mind. Open spaces, speed, freedom, competence. It still held the scent of exhaust from the last time I wore it, and I was amazed what strong images I got from the smell.
So I decided that would be the focus of my ride for today: sensory perception. Anytime my mind drifted to the future or the past, I’d check back in with the here and now and focus on my senses. Yeah, kinda like yoga. Except at 80 mph.
Knowing I’m a little rusty made this an even better idea. Nothing but me, the road, the sun, the wind, and my little Street Triple R, tearing up the desert. Most people would probably find the smell of exhaust on a scarf repulsive, but I love it. Which is why I wash my scarf as little as possible. So with Eau d’ Castrol around my neck and new Micy’s on my wheels, I was off looking for crooked lines and adventure!
May is a great time to ride in Arizona because the desert is in bloom. And the Saguaro’s are the most impressive to me. Heading up to Payson, as I ascended into the high desert, the desert was painted yellow with blooming shrubs and magnificent Saguaro’s towering over the land, each arm topped with a bouquet of white flowers. Not a bad way to keep a girl focused on her senses!
Before climbing much in altitude I saw a few ADV riders parked on the side of the road, having just come off the dirt. My mind wandered to the day that I’d have my own off road bike and where I’d go with it, when a police SUV whizzed past me with lights blazing. Apparently (and fortunately) he wasn’t concerned with my speed, and I wondered where he was off to. See, that’s what I get for thinking! I almost missed a cop car coming up behind me fast with his lights on! I wondered if the ADV riders thought he was after me.
Back in the present moment, I enjoyed passing the cars that couldn’t get up the hill as fast or hold their speed as well as I did. My new Micy’s were rolling into the turns just great. Up ahead I spied the first half-way real turn of the day: tight enough I couldn’t see around it, and loose enough I could see nothing but blue skies beyond.
And that’s when I saw the police SUV again. On the side of the road, with a few guys looking over the side of the cliff, into that blue sky. I slowed down (obviously), and as I cleared the turn enough to see the road ahead, I saw bikes. ‘Lot’s of them, also pulled over, riders standing and sitting on the side of the road. Must have been 30 or 40.
Back to sensory perception, it didn’t take long to know what happened. Someone didn’t make the turn. As I crept by, the other bikers started at me, and as I wondered if I was breaking some kind of code by not stopping, a slow leak of adrenaline oozed into my system making me feel a little sick and light headed. I don’t feel that way when I see a car accident. But something about a motorcycle accident makes me think to myself “See, you have to pay attention. Always”.
He was out having fun just like me. I hope he was wearing good gear. Whatever he did have, I hope it was enough.
A few miles later I saw the ambulance coming down from Payson, but by that time I’d gotten my head screwed back into the present moment, and I was thinking more about my cooling armpits and bleary eyes by then. Earlier I had decided I’d stop at the first gas station in Payson (87 miles in, a pretty long start!), and make a plan from there. Gas, a little break, V-8 and cookies in my tank bag for later, I headed back down the little a little ways to Roosevelt Lake.
Shell stations seem to be a great motorcycling
landmark, and the one on US 60 just outside
Phoenix now has craft been on tap and their
own logo'd growlers!
The day was starting to heat up by then, and I found a great little rest stop to watch the boaters and have a snack. I was slowed briefly by a big pack of Harley’s, but they didn’t hold me up long as they made a quick detour into a gas station with a very, very large parking lot. Plenty of space for them to maneuver, I arrogantly chuckled to myself as I watched them pull in.
Sensory perception the rest of the day included the smell of a wet golf course in the desert, the grip of a brand new pair of gloves, the itch of an earplug that wasn’t quite right, the fright of barely missing a pair of mating hummingbirds, and an adrenaline gush when a blast of wind from nowhere pushed me across my lane. I chuckled again as I remembered the real wind of a dust storm I rode through once.

But back to the present! It was an easy 250 miles, nothing to brag about, but I don’t need to brag. It was a day just for me, and it was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment